Wednesday, January 15, 2014

My Favorite Sites

THE NEW YORK TIMES

Created in 1851 as the New-York Daily Times, The New York Times has evolved into the largest local metropolitan newspaper in the United States. The paper has won the most Pulitzer Prizes out of an other newspapers; 112 to be exact. It is a trusted source for truthful and insightful journalism throughout the country.

As a born and bred New Yorker, I've seen The New York Times in my home for as long as I can remember.  The New York Times has become my go-to newspaper because it gives me so much information about NY politics, arts, business and fashion. Additionally, I enjoy the technology and opinion sections as well. Although I began reading it because of the NY news, I am also able to learn about major news stories in other countries in the World section.

Link: The New York Times 


HULU

Created in 2007 by the joint efforts of NBCUniversal Television Group, Fox Broadcasting Company and Disney-ABC Television Group, Hulu offers on-demand streaming of television shows, movies, behind-the-scenes clips and extended trailers. Since 2011, the company has even featured series created by and only available on Hulu.

As a busy college student, I don't always have time to sit down and watch my favorite shows when they air.Hulu allows me to watch my favorite shows in my own time without having to pay for it (although there is a paid component that I do not utilize). I'm able to add shows to my favorites list so that their new episodes will enter my Queue whenever they become available on Hulu.

Link: Hulu


THE GRIO

Created in 2009 as a division of NBC News, The Grio is an online newspaper specifically geared towards African Americans. The Grio's name was derived from griotwhich is a term for a West African historian and storyteller.

As an African American, I enjoy the fact that this publication is geared directly towards me and the issues I find important. This website also has a lot of opinion pieces that deal with national issues from the African American perspective. The photos and videos are also a great component. Because The Grio has only been an online publication, they know how to make a story as visual as possible.

Link: The Grio


NATIONAL PUBLIC RADIO

Created in 1970 as National Public Radio, NPR is a private and publically funded national syndicator of over 900 public radio stations. It produces All Things Considered and  Morning Edition, two of the most popular radio programs in the country. NPR content has been expanded from just radio to on-demand web, mobile and podcast content.

As I grew up,I remember my mom always playing NPR during car rides. It sparked most of my early love for the news. As I've grown older, I've found that NPR tends to go much more in depth on national stories so I can just go to their website to get all the details as opposed to going to many different sites. I also enjoy the many interesting feature stories that they are known for. Mostly, I use the website to listen to my favorite programs like All Things ConsideredWeekend EditionA Prairie Home Companion and Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me.

Link: NPR


THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER

Created in 1930, The Hollywood Reporter (THR) was the first daily entertainment trade newspaper. The Hollywood Reporter features the most riveting reviews, profiles, and previews of television shows, movies and their celebrity cast members. The paper has evolved with the introduction of the internet into a weekly paper with constant updates to their webpage. Originally focusing mainly on Hollywood's movie, television and entertainment industries, THR  has expanded to include the intersection of fashion, finance, law, technology and politics with the entire entertainment industry.

As an avid movie and television watcher, I like to go to THR for reviews and updates about my favorite celebrities. During award season, their website is a go-to for overviews of who won what and behind the scenes photos. Whenever I hear something about a celebrity, I like to go to THR and see if it's true because THR is not a tabloid and prides itself in sound journalism.

Link: The Hollywood Reporter


No comments:

Post a Comment